Anyhoo... I've been pondering the idea of setting yourself a specific number of words to be written each day...
- I started caring less about the story I was writing and more about the word count in the bottom left corner of my screen.
- I felt bummed about not reaching my desired word count, even if the number of words I managed to write was still pretty impressive for me.
- Knowing I was aiming for a certain number kept me more focused and disciplined than I would have been otherwise.
- Keeping track of the numbers means I can look back on the past few days and see exactly how much I've achieved.
Things I've Discovered
- Writing that much in a condensed period of time (which I haven't done before) is more mentally tiring than I expected.
- If I were to do this full time, every day, with no other work to distract me (something I've wished for for a while) I think I might go insane! A long gym break in the middle of the day would definitely be required!
- I would also have far more frequent back ache - I'm just not used to sitting for so many hours a day!
- And I'm kind of grateful that I'm a teacher (though I still wish it took less time!) - a job that gets me out of the house, interacting with young people and on my feet for several hours a day.
Have you discovered anything recently about your writing process?